Public-Opinion Researchers Censure Hopkins Scholar Over Findings on Iraqi Deaths
The association conducted an eight-month inquiry into results published by Gilbert Burnham in the October 2006 issue of The Lancet, a British medical journal, that estimated that 650,000 Iraqis had died as a result of the U.S.-led invasion.
The inquiry into Mr. Burnham’s work arose because of a complaint by one of the association’s members. But Mr. Burnham, who is not a member of the association, refused to cooperate. He wouldn’t disclose such information as the wording of questions he used in a survey of Iraqis, the instructions and explanations that were provided to respondents, and a summary of the outcomes for all households selected as potential participants in the survey, according to a statement released by the group.
“This violated the standards of science, seriously undermines open public debate on critical issues, and undermines the credibility of all survey and public-opinion research,” said Richard A. Kulka, the association’s president.
The Bloomberg School of Public Health at Hopkins said it was disappointed with the findings but pointed out that neither it nor Mr. Burnham are members of the association.
comments powered by Disqus
Randll Reese Besch - 2/13/2009
Even more since 1990 when the USA unilaterally attacked Iraq. So many are dying and dead that the morgues are full and the grounds are filled with mass burials---the grave diggers are busy 24/7 365 days a year since 2003. Bush's monument to the cause of 'liberty' and 'democracy' for the world to see! What a legacy. Join the ranks of all the others who have done the same thing over the centuries.
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?
- American Historical Association backs revision of the AP course in history
- Middle East Scholars and Librarians Call for the Boycott of Israeli Academic Institutions
- Cornel West and the Insular World of the Obama-Hating Left