Hitler had shocking table manners, gorged on cake and suffered flatulence, reveals never-before-seen profile
Hitler had 'shocking' table manners, gorged on cake in his bunker and suffered from a digestive disorder that might have resulted in flatulence, it has been revealed.
The dictator also bit his fingernails at meal times and nervously rubbed his index finger back and forth across his moustache, according to newly-discovered documents.
The top secret papers also state Hitler believed Joseph Goebbels' own propaganda about himself, genuinely believing he was the 'greatest military genius of all time'.
The revelations also show Hitler had a 'streak of passive masochism' in his relationships with women.
The Fuhrer's daily routine and 'uncouth' behaviour were recorded in notes taken from a high-ranking Nazi who spilled the beans to a British agent.
The document, resembling a psychological profile of Hitler, is dated May 3 1945 - three days after his death - and states on the front: 'This summary must be destroyed within 48 hours.'
comments powered by Disqus
Lorraine Paul - 2/19/2009
I don't have any trouble believing this assessment of Hitler.
I hav also heard that he was addicted to Hollywood films and liked to sleep in until late in the day.
Not exactly the figure that neo-Nazis would want to emulate or glorify!
Speaking about his flalulence, my mother used to sing a song when I was a little girl that may be of interest.
"When the fuhrer says, it is a lovely day,
We'll go oompah! oompah! oompah!
Right in the fuhrer's face".
Little did my mother know!!
Has anyone else heard of this song?
Jonathan Dresner - 2/17/2009
HNN routinely posts news stories of historical interest, without evaluating their claims.
"not legitimate." In what way?
DJ Lee - 2/17/2009
I'v read this article and chased the source but what I had to find was not legitimate. when HNN started to deal with this kind of information?
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!