US returns Ur to Iraq
The US military on Wednesday handed control of ancient Ur, the biblical birthplace of Abraham, back to Iraqi authorities, who hope now to relaunch it as a major tourism site.
"We officially announce the taking over of Ziggurat of Ur from our friends the Americans," Talib
Kamil al-Hassan, governor of Dhi Qar province, said at a ceremony to mark the return of the site six
years after the American invasion.
comments powered by Disqus
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse