Annette Gordon-Reed for the US Supreme Court?
Is New York Law School's Annette Gordon-Reed, the Pulitzer Prize-winning law professor/historian, on President Obama's Supreme Court "short list"? Or, Alabama lawyer Bryan Stevenson, a MacArthur Foundation "genius" award recipient and tireless advocate on behalf of indigent defendants and prisoners? How about veteran consumer rights champion Alan Morrison and University of Notre Dame Law School Dean Patricia O'Hara?
Probably not. But they appear on the short lists of more than a dozen constitutional law and Supreme Court scholars asked by The National Law Journal to step into Obama's shoes to pick a nominee to succeed retiring Justice David Souter. These scholars, who vary ideologically and geographically, most often recommended four women who are reportedly on Obama's short list, giving the most nods to Pamela Karlan, a leading constitutional law scholar, voting rights authority and founding director of the Stanford Law School's Supreme Court Litigation Clinic.
"She's young, smart and very witty," said Michael Dorf of Cornell Law School, echoing comments by Richard Primus of the University of Michigan Law School and others. "She's pretty clearly to the left of anyone on the current court, but is not a throwback to iconic liberals like Earl Warren, William Brennan and Thurgood Marshall. She would be a liberal for the Obama era, not someone fighting a rear-guard action attempting to preserve the remnant of the Warren Court's jurisprudence."
comments powered by Disqus
Herbert Barger - 5/27/2009
I was extremely relieved when our president chose someone other than Annette Gordon-Reed to fill the vacant Supreme Court position. As a Jefferson family historian who assisted Dr. E.A. Foster with the DNA Study, I have observed that Mrs. Gordon-Reed has frequently entered the controversy with two books, frequent speaking engagements and her latest book, stating with all BOLDNESS, that Thomas Jefferson fathered 7 of Sally Hemings children. This is a preposterous and unsubstantuated claim. As a long time Jefferson researcher and founder of the Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society I refer the reader to www.tjheritage.org and www.jeffersondna.com for all details of this FIASCO. The public, in my opinion, is being "CONNED" in the name of political correctness and historical revisionism.
Jefferson Family Historian
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!