Northern grove for Jurassic tree ( Australia)
A tree which had been thought to have died out two million years ago is being grown in the north west Highlands.
The grove at Inverewe Garden is claimed to be the most northerly planting of Wollemi Pine.
Owners the National Trust for Scotland said the tree, which dates from Jurassic times, could survive for up to 1,000 years.
They were cultivated from trees found to have survived in a single isolated grove in Australia.
The discovery of the pine in 1994 caused a scientific sensation, and prompted the Australian Government to protect the site where it was growing.
comments powered by Disqus
- Arizona Historical Society soon could be history
- Yale's Donald Kagan says students need to study Western civilization
- Ken Burns on Colbert to promote his new documentary, "The Address"
- UC Santa Barbara History Department featuring a series on the Great Society at 50
- Historians are trying to recover censored texts from World War I poets