Trent Lott and Strom Thurmond
Acceptance Speech, 1948, Endorsing Civil Rights.
- Platform of the Dixiecrat Party 1948
Articles and Excerpts
- Ralph Luker, Trent Lott Should Be History
- Robert Dallek & Douglas Brinkley, Trent Lott's Faux Pas: What Historians Think
- Norman Markowitz, What Would America Be Like If Strom Thurmond Had Been Elected President?
- Joseph Crespino, Republican Double-Speak on Race
- Michelle Cottle, Trent Lott's Racist Past
- Derek Alger, Trent Lott ... Find Another Country to Be Part Of
- Norman Ravitch, Richard Jensen, Michael Kazin, Sam Tanenhaus, Ralph Luker, Abigail Thernstrom, Debate: Was It a Crime to Have Supported the Dixiecrat Party?
- Timothy Noah, Strom Thurmond Never Repudiated Segregation
- Hubert Humphrey, Civil Rights Speech at the Democratic Convention, 1948
- Kari Frederickson, Strom Thurmond's Mixed Record
- Robin Toner, Sanitizing the Past
- David Halbfinger and Jeffrey Gettleman, NYT Profile of Trent Lott
- Eric Black, Dixiecrats' 1948 rebellion signified white resistance
- Timothy Noah, Did Robert Byrd Ever Renounce Segregation?
- Jim Sleeper, The Real Third-Party Candidate in 1948
comments powered by Disqus
- Odds of a Contested November Election Are on the Rise
- Penguin Classics and Others Work to Diversify Offerings From the Canon
- Coping With Coronavirus Disappointments: Five Lessons From Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- The Case Against Waging ‘War’ on the Coronavirus
- Helen Hunt Brings Trailblazing War Journalist to Life in "World On Fire"
- And The Winners of the 2020 Anisfield-Wolf Book Awards Are ...
- AHA's Committee on LGBT History Announces Hardship Grants
- What Both the Left and the Right Get Wrong About the Coronavirus Economic Crisis
- As COVID-19 Spreads, Mary Barra Needs To Denounce Trump As Bad For Capitalism
- Pandemics and the Shape of Human History