Recommended Reading ...
Hilary Andersson,"Born To Be a Slave in Niger," BBC. 11 Feb. Although slavery was outlawed last year in Niger, slaves are eight percent of its population. Andersson introduces you to Assibit and Fatima, who inherited their status as slaves.
Andrew Meier,"Burnt Offerings," Financial Times, 19 Feb. On the Tulsa, Oklahoma, race riot of 1921 and the current legal struggle for reparations. Thanks to Chris Bertram at Crooked Timber for the tip.
comments powered by Disqus
- David Rosand, an Art History Scholar Whose Heart Was in Venice, Dies at 75
- NYT interviews Rick Perlstein about his book
- OAH issues a statement in support of the AP standards
- Daniel Pipes says in interview that the absence of anti-Israel protests in Muslim countries is highly significant
- A historian who studies China has discovered an overlooked angle in the debate about the Middle East. Could he have figured out a key reason for Iraq’s failure to defeat ISIS?