Recommended Reading ...
Hilary Andersson,"Born To Be a Slave in Niger," BBC. 11 Feb. Although slavery was outlawed last year in Niger, slaves are eight percent of its population. Andersson introduces you to Assibit and Fatima, who inherited their status as slaves.
Andrew Meier,"Burnt Offerings," Financial Times, 19 Feb. On the Tulsa, Oklahoma, race riot of 1921 and the current legal struggle for reparations. Thanks to Chris Bertram at Crooked Timber for the tip.
comments powered by Disqus
- How Americans Feel About Religious Groups
- Tea Party support linked to educational segregation, new study shows
- History of Philly Rests Under I-95
- Agreement aims to protect North Shore wrecks from looters
- Award-Winning Filmmaker Kevin McCann to Produce the First Film about the Easter Rising in Ireland
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years
- Historian turns baker?
- Timothy Garton Ash remembers an appearance by Putin at a conference in 1994 that's eye-opening