A Breath of Fresh Air in the Schiavo Case
One of the few decent things said by an elected official during the Terri Schiavo episode came from an unlikely source: Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida. When he was being goaded to take custody of Schiavo in defiance of a court ruling, he said, "I cannot go beyond what my powers are and I'm not going to do it."
comments powered by Disqus
Sheldon Richman - 3/26/2005
Interesting. At least the state forces backed down.
John Arthur Shaffer - 3/26/2005
Jeb tried to send in the stormtroopers:
The one good thing to come out of all this is that Jeb pretty much has toasted his chance of being President. For that the republic should be thankful.
Tom G Palmer - 3/26/2005
I was also struck by that comment. Some had been urging the governor to send in the police (as some right-wingers had urged his brother to send in the federal marshalls) and the governor said that....there are limits on his powers! Amazing.
- Heffron, of WWII's Band of Brothers, Dies at 90
- Fully 70 percent of films from silent era are lost, according to Library of Congress report
- "Secret" Labyrinth of Tunnels under Rome Mapped
- Florida Tribe Re-Creates Daring Escape From The Trail Of Tears
- Evolution, Civil War history entwine in plant fossil with a tragic past