Happy 85th, Thomas Szasz!
April 15 was Thomas Szasz's 85th birthday. The Reason Foundation held a small dinner celebration in Washington, D.C., which I was honored to participate in. My remarks are here. You'll see that I highlight key elements of Szasz's work and explore why most libertarians fail to appreciate it. I also touch on the parallel between his work and Austrian economics. Other remarks and photos are here.
comments powered by Disqus
Kenneth R Gregg - 4/24/2005
About five years ago, I gave a toast to Dr. Szasz at a CLASSical Liberals of Las Vegas meeting. He is one of our great sources of wisdom and has framed a paradigm in understanding psychiatry and psychological issues which is of incomparable value to us all.
His body of work has challenged us all to improve our understanding of theory, society and, most of all, ourselves. We all should read his writings from "The Manufacture of Madness" to his most recent writings on freedom!
And a toast to Szasz!
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!