Happy 85th, Thomas Szasz!
April 15 was Thomas Szasz's 85th birthday. The Reason Foundation held a small dinner celebration in Washington, D.C., which I was honored to participate in. My remarks are here. You'll see that I highlight key elements of Szasz's work and explore why most libertarians fail to appreciate it. I also touch on the parallel between his work and Austrian economics. Other remarks and photos are here.
comments powered by Disqus
Kenneth R Gregg - 4/24/2005
About five years ago, I gave a toast to Dr. Szasz at a CLASSical Liberals of Las Vegas meeting. He is one of our great sources of wisdom and has framed a paradigm in understanding psychiatry and psychological issues which is of incomparable value to us all.
His body of work has challenged us all to improve our understanding of theory, society and, most of all, ourselves. We all should read his writings from "The Manufacture of Madness" to his most recent writings on freedom!
And a toast to Szasz!
- Olivia Remie Constable, director of the Medieval Institute at Notre Dame since 2009, passes away
- Arizona Historical Society soon could be history
- Yale's Donald Kagan says students need to study Western civilization
- Ken Burns on Colbert to promote his new documentary, "The Address"
- UC Santa Barbara History Department featuring a series on the Great Society at 50