MAGNANIMOUS, SMART 1930s TURKEY
When the Jews were evicted from Spain, they were welcomed to the Ottoman Empire. Their contribution has convinced the rulers of Anatolia that well educated Jews can be an asset. So, it should not be a surprise that unlike most of the world, Turkey most eager to modernize the country, was smart enough to welcome yet another stream of knowledgeable Jews. It was a true win win initiative of which the Turks can be most proud and us, Jews, eternally grateful. Arnold Reisman documentsTurkey’s Invitations to Nazi-Persecuted Intellectuals Circa 1933: A Bibliographic Essay on History’s Blind Spot. It is well worth savoring.
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch