MAGNANIMOUS, SMART 1930s TURKEY
When the Jews were evicted from Spain, they were welcomed to the Ottoman Empire. Their contribution has convinced the rulers of Anatolia that well educated Jews can be an asset. So, it should not be a surprise that unlike most of the world, Turkey most eager to modernize the country, was smart enough to welcome yet another stream of knowledgeable Jews. It was a true win win initiative of which the Turks can be most proud and us, Jews, eternally grateful. Arnold Reisman documentsTurkey’s Invitations to Nazi-Persecuted Intellectuals Circa 1933: A Bibliographic Essay on History’s Blind Spot. It is well worth savoring.
comments powered by Disqus
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation