The Official Raving Monster Loony Party
The above are one of the parties fighting the General Election in Britain (where else?) on the 5th May. Some excerpts from their 'Manicfesto':
"Our team of experts has decided that Income Tax has not proved popular with the public and will therefore be abolished. It was started in order to finance the Napoleonic war in 1799 and we now believe that the time is right to announce the cessation of hostilities with Napoleon. Some of the money left in the coffers will be used to fill in our part of the Channel Tunnel in case no one has mentioned it to the French. Any remaining money will be strategically placed on a horse at the 3-30 at Haydock Park [racecourse] at odds of at least 12/1 in order to see us through until the next election. Income Tax will be officially replaced by people lending the government a bob or two at the end of the week when we’re a bit skint.
"In the interests of fair education policy, under a loony government all children will automatically be given full marks in their exams.
"Anyone caught breaking the law will be made to mend it.
"All food shall be clearly labelled “Recommended for Oral Use”.
"All WMD’s (weapons of Mass Distraction) will be made highly visible so that we can find them.
"Any politician wanting to start a war will be shipped off to the country in question with a bag of conkers [chestnuts.] They can then conker the country themselves.
"To keep up with the present government we promise to introduce many policies that have not been thought through properly, purely for cheap votes.
Giving everyone a quid who votes for us
"Vote for Insanity, You Know it Makes Sense!"
Their website: http://www.omrlp.com/
comments powered by Disqus
Sudha Shenoy - 5/1/2005
Correction: at the 2001 election, on loony candidate _did_ retain his deposit!
Sudha Shenoy - 5/1/2005
A good short history of the party is at:
-- look under the party name.
They've won local council seats but at by-elections & general elections their candidates have lost their deposits. Their main function is to keep out other small parties, when Loony candidates are fielded -- the small parties can't afford to poll fewer votes than a Loony.
David Timothy Beito - 4/30/2005
I seem to remember that that this party ran a candidate about twenty years ago and got more than a few votes
- Is it a reminder of Nazis or a historical object worthy of saving?
- Supreme Court reveals that the docket books of many justices survive -- and are being made available
- Poll: Majority Of Americans Say Obama Is Mixed Race, Not Black
- New technology helps paleontologists see Ice-Age bee in intricate detail
- History textbooks in crosshairs of Australia's curriculum wars
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!
- UW Professor Stephanie Camp, 46, feminist historian, dies