Modern History Notes
Thomas Lipscomb,"A Declaration of Inconclusiveness," WSJ, 28 August, reviews William G. Hyland Jr.'s In Defense of Thomas Jefferson. Hat tip.
Wesley Yang,"The End of the Affair," Tablet, 4 September, reviews Louis Begley's Why the Dreyfus Affair Matters.
William Deresiewicz,"Aracataca and Sucre," Nation, 2 September, reviews Gerald Martin's Gabriel García Márquez: A Life.
Ross Douthat,"Another One for the Gipper," NYT, 1 September, reviews Steven F. Hayward's The Age of Reagan: The Conservative Counterrevolution, 1980-1989.
Tom Vanderbilt,"Up From Calamity," NYT, 1 September, reviews Rebecca Solnit's A Paradise Built in Hell: The Extraordinary Communities That Arise in Disaster.
Robert B. Reich,"Critical Care," NYT, 1 September, reviews The Heart of Power: Health and Politics in the Oval Office by David Blumenthal and James A. Morone.
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse