Modern History Notes
Emily Bazelon,"Supreme Courtship," NYT, 25 September, reviews Barry Friedman's The Will of the People: How Public Opinion Has Influenced the Supreme Court and Shaped the Meaning of the Constitution.
Stephen Budiansky,"Rising Up Against a Rich Man's War," Washington Post, 27 September, reviews Sally Jenkins's and John Stauffer's The State of Jones: The Small Southern County That Seceded From the Confederacy.
Alan M. Dershowitz,"The Practice," NYT, 25 September, reviews Melvin I. Urofsky's Louis D. Brandeis: A Life.
Adam Begley,"Side By Side," NYT, 25 September, reviews Morris Dickstein's Dancing in the Dark: A Cultural History of the Great Depression.
Jonathan Yardley,"Tracking Nazi Loot," Washington Post, 27 September, reviews The Monuments Men: Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Robert M. Edsel with Bret Witter.
- Poll: Majority Of Americans Say Obama Is Mixed Race, Not Black
- New technology helps paleontologists see Ice-Age bee in intricate detail
- History textbooks in crosshairs of Australia's curriculum wars
- Archaeologists' findings may prove Rome a century older than thought
- 150 years of medical journals to go online
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!
- UW Professor Stephanie Camp, 46, feminist historian, dies
- Italian forces in WW2 were not soft and Mussolini wasn't a clown, British historian claims