EMANUEL IMPLIES MCCHRYSTAL WILL NOT TESTIFY
Do not hold your breath for a McChrystal Congressional testimony for according to Rahm Emanuel, president Obama does not want him to do so. Clearly, they do not trust him. Dickerson thought he got Rahm to commit to an delayed testimony but Rahm realized his error and sought to fix it. If the transcript will not convince you, I suggest you watch the tape (about 4:17 minutes into the discussion), especially Rahm's body language:
Watch CBS News Videos Online
DICKERSON: OK. So I don’t hear a notion that there is going to be a delay. Let me move on to this question of having General McChrystal testify. The Republicans really want this to happen. after the president makes his decision on the strategy. Will you encourage McChrystal to testify in front of Congress?
EMANUEL: Well, when the president is going to -- you know, that question we’ll get to, the first question is getting the policy and the review correct and then being able to explain to the American people what the president is asking of the country and its armed forces -- and not just the armed forces, but the country, and also what we’re expecting to achieve there in a sense of Afghanistan, and then the entire national security team will obviously be available to walk the Congress and the American people through that.
DICKERSON: Including McChrystal?
EMANUEL: If that is necessary, of course.
DICKERSON: Let’s move to health care.
EMANUEL: But I think it’s the president’s view the most important place for General McChrystal to be is in the theater of battle.
DICKERSON: In Afghanistan. Let’s move to health care.
Dickerson understands the implication but tactfully refrains from asking a follow up question.
comments powered by Disqus
- Richard III Really Ate and Drank Like a King
- Where’s the one place in the world where nobody’s messed with WW II relics?
- Secrets of the Clinton Library
- Beloit College is out with its annual list of what freshman know ... Tiny Tim? Carl Sagan? Forget about it.
- India Bans Indira Gandhi Assassination Film
- A prominent historian of science dies and no one takes notice
- A pro-Hamas Left emerges among historians, complains Jeffrey Herf
- Classicist Mary Beard celebrated by the New Yorker as “The Troll Slayer”
- Ilan Pappé praised in Iran as a "prominent anti-Zionist Israeli historian and intellectual"
- It's hard to be an optimist today, but Juan Cole is