A priori knowledge
A.O. Scott (NYT) on Star Wars Episode III:"It's better than Star Wars." I'm sure I'll go see it, fanboy that I am, and maybe it'll even be good, but I cannot imagine it'll be as good as Scott makes it out to be. Of course, the NYT is legendarily obtuse about sci-fi (including space-operas that technically aren't sci-fi).
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 5/16/2005
I'm sure that Episode III is a technically better film than IV; even the acting and writing, bad as it sounds in that review, is probably better. But when you compare it to the movies around it this year and last, is it that different, as filmmaking goes, from LotR, Harry Potter, X-Men, etc? Maybe by degrees, but not by quantum leaps, the way Episode IV was in its day.
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?
- World War I Anniversary: Five Historians, Two Questions
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals