Victims of the Tax State: The Singing Nun
Disillusioned with the authoritarianism of the church, she left in 1967 to pursue a solo singing career. She recorded an album, which included “Glory Be to God for the Golden Pill” praising benefits of the birth control pill for women. The comeback was a flop. Also, in 1967, she moved in with Annie Pécher, a childhood friend (who may have also been her lover). The two founded a school for autistic children.
At this point, the Belgian government tragically entered the scene. Using a dubious loophole in a contract she signed with the church (which had reaped all the profits from “Dominique”), it said she owned it between $50,000 and $80,000 of back taxes. The government was unrelenting in pressing its claim. Depressed and weighed down by debt, Deckers resumed her singing career in a last ditch attempt to pay the taxes and raise enough to keep the school open. As part of the comeback, she recorded this promotional video (see above) featuring a disco version of “Dominique.”
Her timing was terrible. Disco was on life-support in 1982 and it was another flop. The school closed. With no way left to pay the government, Deckers and Pécher committed suicide together. Pécher left this note: “We do suffer really too much... We have no more place in life, no ideal except God, but we can't eat that. We go to eternity in peace. We trust God will forgive us. He saw us both suffer and he won't let us down.”
comments powered by Disqus
acuvue oasys - 11/29/2009
Really liked this post - thanks or putting it up, brings back very old and fond memories :)
- ‘Google must not be left to censor history’ – Wikipedia founder
- The most important battle you've probably never heard of
- ISIS is destroying both Shia and Sunni shrines and buildings in Mosul
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin.
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians