Last Survivor of the Battle of the Somme Dies Aged 108
Albert Marshall, First World War cavalryman and last survivor of the Battle of the Somme, has just died. Go here for a long and interesting account of his life (this will go behind subscription later this week so check it out now) in The Independent.
Marshall married in 1921 (his wife died in 1984). According to another obituary in the Daily Telegraph, they had five children, of which only John Marshall, his youngest son at 73, survives, although 12 grandchildren, 24 great-grandchildren and four great-great-grandchildren will ensure the family keeps growing.
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch