Pursuit of the Middle Class Terrorist
Tony Blair’s government has released via backchannels a report on Islamic radicals recruiting disaffected middle class Muslim students. However, one hopes that the report uses statistics better than this paragraph from the press report linked above suggests:
It paints a chilling picture of the scale of the task in tackling terrorism. Drawing on information from MI5, it concludes: “Intelligence indicates that the number of British Muslims actively engaged in terrorist activity, whether at home or abroad or supporting such activity, is extremely small and estimated at less than 1%.”I don’t know about you but it makes a big difference to me if that is 16,000 potential terrorists or active terrorists.
This equates to fewer than 16,000 potential terrorists and supporters out of a Muslim population of almost 1.6m.
Having said that, I think it might be informative to compare the danger posed by the middle class terrorists of the late 1960s and 1970s in Europe with the potential danger today.
For example, what percentage of middle class students then sympathized with revolutionary activity? What percentage went to revolutionary meetings? What percentage actually committed acts of violence or knowingly aided those who did? I don’t know what such a comparison would show, but it would be one way to make the degree of the challenge ahead more concrete.
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!