News Round Up
From the Raw Story (May 11): NPR joins AP in demanding visual proof of Osama bin Laden’s death. (Note: these photos are bound to leak. Obama has already shared them with various Senators, etc. But it is interesting to see the ultra-liberal NPR making such a high-profile demand of Obama.)
From Orange County Register (May 10): Some Orange County lifeguards make over $200,000. (Note: Able to retire with 90% of salary after only 30 years of work at as early as age 50.)
From the Huffington Post (May 10): For Jobless, Florida Set To Become Stingiest State In America. (Note: I think this will become a trend; I don't see how states can avoid such spending rollbacks.)
A bill awaiting Republican Gov. Rick Scott's signature will cut unemployment taxes on businesses by reducing the maximum benefits for people laid off through no fault of their own to 23 weeks. That's three fewer weeks than the standard 26 weeks provided by nearly every state for the past 50 years. And as the unemployment rate falls, benefits will diminish.
For more commentary, visit www.WendyMcElroy.com.
comments powered by Disqus
- Poll: Majority Of Americans Say Obama Is Mixed Race, Not Black
- New technology helps paleontologists see Ice-Age bee in intricate detail
- History textbooks in crosshairs of Australia's curriculum wars
- Archaeologists' findings may prove Rome a century older than thought
- 150 years of medical journals to go online
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!
- UW Professor Stephanie Camp, 46, feminist historian, dies
- Italian forces in WW2 were not soft and Mussolini wasn't a clown, British historian claims