News Round Up
From CNN (May 13): U.S. interviews 'hostile' bin Laden widows, with Pakistan officials. (Note: this has to be the stupidest headline ever. Of course they are hostile to Americans who shot their husband and other friends/family members behind their own eyes. Of course they are hostile to those who shot one of them in the leg while she was trying to protect her husband. Of course, as kidnap victims now imprisoned, they are hostile. Did the U.S. expect they would 'bake a cake'?]
Three of Osama bin Laden's widows have been interviewed by U.S. intelligence officers under the supervision of Pakistani's intelligence service, according to sources in both governments. The women -- who were all interviewed together this week -- were "hostile" toward the Americans, according to a senior Pakistani government official with direct knowledge of the post-bin Laden investigation and two senior U.S. officials with direct knowledge of the matter. The eldest of the three widows spoke for the group.
From the Los Angeles Times (May 12): San Bernardino County man dies after deputies use Taser to subdue him (Note: His crime? He ran a stop sign. Father of victim calls it 'murder'. I do too.)
[Father] said witnesses told him that the deputy slammed his son to the ground. His son was Tasered about eight times by two deputies, said Jack Kephart, who dismissed assertions that his son was combative with the deputies.
comments powered by Disqus
- How Americans Feel About Religious Groups
- Tea Party support linked to educational segregation, new study shows
- History of Philly Rests Under I-95
- Agreement aims to protect North Shore wrecks from looters
- Award-Winning Filmmaker Kevin McCann to Produce the First Film about the Easter Rising in Ireland
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years
- Historian turns baker?
- Timothy Garton Ash remembers an appearance by Putin at a conference in 1994 that's eye-opening