Stomping on Free Speech (The British Travel Ban of Michael Savage)
Although listening to Michael Savage can be a guilty pleasure at times, he has distinctly anti-liberty views on issues ranging from immigration to war. Last year, for example, Savage joined the right wing mob to trample the private property and the first amendment rights of Muslims who wanted to build a mosque near ground zero.
Any sin of Savage, however, pales in comparison to the British government's indefensible decision (now reaffirmed by the new Conservative government) to ban him from traveling to the UK because of "extreme statements."
The country that gave us the Glorious Revolution, John Wilkes, John Milton, and John Stuart Mill is rapidly turning its back on free speech. The deafening silence from civil libertarians in the United States on this travel ban is a worrisome sign that we are not far behind.
comments powered by Disqus
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch