Feeding the Tax Man at Duffy's Tavern (1944)
Duffy's Tavern was one of the most popular radio shows during World War II and was a direct model for the TV series, Cheers. In this episode from 1944, the main characters try to figure out Roosevelt's expanded income tax which, for the first time, reached the masses. Using humor, it reveals at least some frustration with the onerous and bewildering requirements of the tax.
comments powered by Disqus
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse