Sandra Day O’Connor’s Date Dies
Or, as David Bernstein notes at Volokh.com, "William Rehnquist has passed away".
I understand that O'Connor dated Rehnquist when they were students together at Stanford Law School. He graduated first in his class (ahead of O'Connor).
comments powered by Disqus
Mark D. Fulwiler - 9/5/2005
Nominating Roberts for CJ is politically savvy (he will be easily confirmed and could be Chief Justice for 30-40 years), and it avoids a vacancy on the court come October since SJO has agreed to stay on until her replacement is confirmed. Plus the Roberts nomination avoids the 3rd confirmation hearing that would have been needed if Bush had tried to elevate a current member of the court to CJ.
Steven Horwitz - 9/5/2005
Stupid and wrong, it seems. Roberts will be (re)nominated for CJ.
Mark D. Fulwiler - 9/4/2005
Steven: Are you crazy? Thomas would have to go through another confirmation hearing. After the Anita Hill thing, there is no way this will happen. No way whatever.
Steven Horwitz - 9/4/2005
I wouldn't be surprised if he elevates Thomas to CJ. Not only is he experienced and young, it would also be a gesture toward the African-American population who rightly feels mistreated by the handling of the Katrina aftermath.
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!