Ted Galen Carpenter: Bush Misreads History
Drum roll, please, for Republican Senator Chuck Hagel, who, after returning from one of several trips to Iraq, said:"We should start figuring out how we get out of there. Our involvement there has destabilized the Middle East. And the longer we stay there, I think the further destabilization will occur." I hope those who wish the U.S. to stay on in Iraq will read and consider his remarks.
What many of us would now like to hear is the timetable that Carpenter thinks is appropriate. And what do readers of Liberty & Power think? Immediate withdrawal? Total withdrawal by the end of this year? Total withdrawal by the end of 2006?
comments powered by Disqus
Justin Raimondo - 10/3/2005
I agree with the above comment, with this proviso: the U.S. must compensate the families of those killed by American bombs and other acts of "collateral damage."
Keith Halderman - 10/3/2005
I think the troops should be pulled out as quickly as possible with only consideration as to time being their safety. No one should have to die just to make George Bush look a little better. The only possible winner of this war will be Iran.
David T. Beito - 10/2/2005
My pro-war friends keep claiming that we have "won" or are "winning." Perhaps this claim could be used a fig-leaf for them to pull out the troops e.g. they "are no longer needed." I'll let them use any argument they want.
If I could push the button Leonard Read style for immediate withdrawal, I would. Since this wnon't happen, I would be satisfied by any or your alternative dates. Of course, that is not likely to happen either.
Sudha Shenoy - 10/2/2005
Bush & others invaded Iraq principally for domestic political reasons. Withdrawal will occur when it achieves maximum political benefit domestically, or minimises political damage. What is needed is some excuse which can present withdrawal as a great American triumph. Can this be concocted & sold to the real decision-makers in Washinton? (It requires more grasp of US politics than I have.)
- How Americans Feel About Religious Groups
- Tea Party support linked to educational segregation, new study shows
- History of Philly Rests Under I-95
- Agreement aims to protect North Shore wrecks from looters
- Award-Winning Filmmaker Kevin McCann to Produce the First Film about the Easter Rising in Ireland
- In new book UC Berkeley historian Waldo E. Martin, Jr. takes Black Panther Party's point of view
- Economics historian finds that real social mobility takes hundreds of years
- Historian Tim Furnish says liberals shouldn't be astonished that ISIS is stoning women to death -- "in many Muslim countries ... large majorities ... favor stoning"
- Historian turns baker?
- Timothy Garton Ash remembers an appearance by Putin at a conference in 1994 that's eye-opening