Thus Always to Tyrants?
comments powered by Disqus
David Nicholas Harley - 11/15/2005
The death of Henri IV made France a significantly more rigorously Catholic state than it was while he reigned.
Jeremy Dupertuis Bangs - 11/14/2005
Depending on whether 10 years is long enough, and granting considerable oversimplification, the judicial assassination of Johan van Oldenbarnevelt (1619) accomplished the goals of the Contra-Remonstrant party in The Netherlands. Dissent was widely suppressed, the threat of continued peace was averted, rigid Calvinist theologians arrogated the application of the positive label "orthodox" to their ideas only, etc. etc.
Jonathan Dresner - 11/14/2005
What comes to mind first and foremost are the various "Restoration" coup attempts in Japan in the 1930s, mostly at the hands of relatively young highly nationalistic and militaristic officers. These plots never succeeded in overthrowing the government, as such, but they did contribute considerably to the sense that civilian leaders needed to go along with military priorities or risk facing the wrath of radicals within the armed forces. This was particularly important in determining China policy, which of course led to Pacific policy...
Andre Mayer - 11/14/2005
The problem with this question, it seems to me, is the "long term goals" criterion -- assassination isn't, after all, a long term strategy, whatever the ultimate program behind it. It's at least arguable that the Rabin assaassination has "worked" so far, but of course that's not long enough.
- ‘Google must not be left to censor history’ – Wikipedia founder
- The most important battle you've probably never heard of
- ISIS is destroying both Shia and Sunni shrines and buildings in Mosul
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin.
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians