Don't Make me Get the Flying Monkeys!
A former student of mine in now seeking a Masters in Library Science, and has also started a blog. In one of her first posts, she compares Graduate School to the Wicked Witch of the West..."Always ready to send in the evil monkeys after me."
Unfortunately, I must point out to Dawn that if one must utilize a Grad School/Wizard of Oz metaphor, then it's probably the Graduate Students who are the Flying Monkeys.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 1/2/2006
...I think it depends on the level of analogy. If the analogy is to graduate school, then the graduate student is always Dorothy or one of her friends, traversing the paths of Oz on the way to slay the dreaded Witchertation. And yes, professors are flying monkeys.
If the analogy is to universities, then I think you might have a case for the grad student as the monkey minion (though the lecturing professor bears a striking resemblance to the "great and powerful" Oz, which confuses things) but then the undergraduates are Dorothy, et al....
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood
- Female historian says human rights museum censored her
- Japanese historians slam sex-slave apology review
- Stephanie Coontz: "Marriages require much more maturity than they once did."