AMERICAN HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION TO GIVE AWARD TO FORMER KLANSMAN
Ralph Luker of Cliopatria reports that the powers-that-be in the AHA apparently did not think twice about the prospect of “giving Senator Robert C. Byrd of West Virginia its inaugural Theodore Roosevelt-Woodrow Award for Civil Service...Byrd is a former member of the Ku Klux Klan who was still using the word ‘nigger’ on national television without a wince
as recently as two years ago.” Somehow I don't think that the membership of the AHA would show a similar tolerance if the name of the recipient was Trent Lott rather than Robert C. Byrd.
comments powered by Disqus
- Yale's Jay Winter sums up what we should remember about WW I
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin, says critic
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!