Happy Spooner Day!
comments powered by Disqus
Kenneth R. Gregg - 1/23/2006
Thanks for the link to Barnett's essay. I like this in his conclusion:
"Reading all three hundred pages, one is struck by the herculean nature of Spooner's endeavor-indeed by its similarity to what Ronald Dworkin argues that Hercules, Dworkin's hypothetical judge, ought to do: construct a set of principles of justice that both explain and justify the constitutional text at hand in such a way as to render it consistent with all other texts recognized as authoritative within this legal tradition."
"Spooner Day" should be an international libertarian holiday!
Tom G Palmer - 1/22/2006
Thanks Ken! The date is now added to my calendar as a recurring holiday.
I'd also note the recent article by Randy Barnett on Spooner's theory of constitutional interpretation:
And also his response to Spooner in his book "Restoring the Lost Constitution."
Tom G. Palmer
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch