Things Noted Here and There
Chris Bray has been posting an important series here at Cliopatria,"The Soldier as Historian: Shadows and Fog." In case you missed earlier installments, here they are:
I. The Soldier as Historian: Shadows and Fog (Introduction)
II. The Soldier as Historian: Shadows and Fog (1)
III. The Soldier as Historian: Shadows and Fog (2)
IV. The Soldier as Historian: Shadows and Fog (3)
Parts 4 & 5 of the series will appear later.
Daniel Kleidman, Stuart Taylor, Jr., and Evan Thomas,"Palace Revolt," Newsweek, 2006, on struggles within the Bush administration, provokes discussions at both Crooked Timber and The Volokh Conspiracy. [More ...]
Congratulations to Laurel Thatcher Ulrich who has been named University Professor at Harvard. Rebecca Goetz notes that the honor includes some"ancient and honorable privileges" that allow Professor Ulrich to graze her cattle in Harvard Yard.
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!