Not All the King's Men
Ashcroft had earlier body-blocked Cheney's plan to invoke the"enemy combatant" theory--i.e., president designates you as EC, you're stripped of all legal rights and thrown in the brig indefinitely, with no opportunity to contest your imprisonment--against all terrorist suspects on American soil, citizens or not. Here, even when cornered in his hospital bed by Andy Card and Alberto Gonzales, he refuses to sign off on the NSA program. He also prevented John " crush 'em" Yoo's ascention to head of the Office of Legal Counsel.
Also in a starring role, Jack Goldsmith, former head of OLC, who repudiated the torture memos, despite great pressure from leading Vulcan David Addington. Though I never had him for class, Goldsmith taught at U of C when I was there, and he always cut an appealling figure: sort of like a genteel, cleaned-up version of John Belushi. As the article makes clear, he's one of the good guys in this story.
comments powered by Disqus
Gene Healy - 1/30/2006
"Good guys *in this story*" is a comparative term and not a suggestion that they're heroes and paladins of liberty.
Robert Higgs - 1/30/2006
Yes, this story is interesting. It is reassuring, at least a little bit, to know that not everybody in the inner sanctum has just rolled over and played dead for Cheney and his minions. Yet, even after the dust has settled, more or less, we see that even the "good guys" maintained positions that are, to my way of thinking, simply reprehensible in a government that purports to be limited and constitutional--not much more than a loosening of the thumb screws.
- ‘Google must not be left to censor history’ – Wikipedia founder
- The most important battle you've probably never heard of
- ISIS is destroying both Shia and Sunni shrines and buildings in Mosul
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin.
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians