David Montgomery: Defending Historians' Academic Freedom in Our Own Times
comments powered by Disqus
julia T erdman - 4/24/2006
This an extremely important issue. I have been following the so called Armenian Genocide debates and was appalled to find out the historians who do not support the genocide claim are under exterem pressure to the point that one was forced to leave UCLA under pressure and threats from a Mr Hovannasian who himself claims to be a historian at UCLA! Mr Shaw's house was burned and his children were threatened beacuse he was onf the opinion that there was no eveidence supporting the claim of genocide, but ethnic strife in the middle of WW I, where many more nn-Armenians died at the same time in the same region!
When we teach our children to hate, we basically kill their future!
History should not be re-written under political and physical threats! That is a very dangerous thing. We should strive to give our children accurate picture of the social, political and economic picture of the situation, not just one sided stories.
- ‘Google must not be left to censor history’ – Wikipedia founder
- The most important battle you've probably never heard of
- ISIS is destroying both Shia and Sunni shrines and buildings in Mosul
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin.
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians