"We're Alright, Jack," Says David Montgomery to the Left
In a rambling presentation at the conference of the Organization of American Historians, David Montgomery (a former president of the OAH) holds forth on"Defending Historians' Academic Freedom in Our Own Times." He identifies the following as the main villains: classicists, the Academic Bill of Rights, conservative-oriented private foundations, cuts in government spending, and even critics of Women's Studies.
He continues his track record, however, of ignoring threats to academic freedom posed by the left, including speech codes. Listen here.
David T. Beito - 4/24/2006
The conspiracy of silence (or is it inertia?) continues.
Ralph E. Luker - 4/24/2006
Nothing I'm aware of, other than Montgomery's speech, but I didn't go to the business meeting.
David T. Beito - 4/23/2006
Was there anything of note that happened at the convention on this issue?
Ralph E. Luker - 4/23/2006
Thanks for noticing this, David. It's pretty clear why we were ignored by the OAH's committee of inquiry. I had two friends of many years on that committee, but their attitude would have been little different from Montgomery's.
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch