Muslim Violence and State Violence
"A Cologne brothel touting for clients with a World Cup-themed banner has blacked out the flags of Iran and Saudi Arabia after threats from Muslims."
"The giant banner on a high-rise building shows a semi-naked woman and the flags of the 32 countries in the World Cup, which kicks off in June.
"The Pascha brothel's owner, Armin Lobscheid, said a group of Muslims had threatened violence over the advert.
"He said they had accused the brothel of insulting Islam by using the flags.
"First there were telephone threats of violence, then about 30 hooded protesters armed with knives and sticks turned up outside Pascha on Friday, the Koelner Stadt-Anzeiger newspaper reported.
"'The situation was explosive,' Mr Lobscheid told the paper."
That said, let us not forget that the threat of state violence deters Americans (and British) from operating brothels in their respective nation-states, with the limited exception of certain counties in Nevada, which even then are heavily regulated. Why is prostitution outlawed in every state in the U.S. but one? And why are brothels outlawed there and the UK? Could it be because a significant part of public opinion is outraged by the existence of prostitution and brothels and most of the population is prepared to tolerate the threat of state violence for this purpose?
comments powered by Disqus
Aster Francesca - 4/26/2006
Of course, we all know that state legislation is entirely effective in attaining its intended consequences. Consequently, there are no prostitutes in America in 49 states of the U.S.A.
Aster Francesca - 4/26/2006
Could the persecution of prostitutes have something also to do with a religious populace that believes in the right to enforce the rules of its book by destroying others' lives? Could it have something to do with a society that is uncomfortable with *any* nonprocreative sexuality for which the prostitute is the symbol. Could it have something to do with a society that still largely defines women in terms of sexual relation to men, then goes bonkers when some women decide that given all this, their sexuality and its benefits belong to them?
Apologies, I just had to rant here.
I should note that in the U.K., indoor prostitution has recently been made legal so long as three or less people are on the premises. Not freedom, but better than the U.S.
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation