Satchmo and Marijuana
In an article for HNN, L and P blogger Keith Halderman explores Louis Armstrong's pro-liberty views on Marijuana:
Armstrong maintained marijuana to be a thousand times better than whiskey and that it relaxed him while also keeping him clear headed. He pointed out that, though he smoked marijuana, during the entire forty-five years he had been blowing trumpet he had never let his public down, claiming that they had a reverence for each other.
comments powered by Disqus
Robert L. Campbell - 5/9/2006
I'm glad to see Keith Halderman picking up on the Louis Armstrong story.
According to one biography, Armstrong even wrote to President Eisenhower urging that marijuana be legalized.
Mark Brady - 5/4/2006
Keith has written a really good and useful article that I encourage you all to read. I know I shall be recommending it to people in the weeks to come.
- ‘Google must not be left to censor history’ – Wikipedia founder
- The most important battle you've probably never heard of
- ISIS is destroying both Shia and Sunni shrines and buildings in Mosul
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians