Oh, But They Will
Criteria for selection:"The lyrics must convey a conservative idea or sentiment, such as skepticism of government or support for traditional values.""Skepticism about government"?! Oh, my side...
comments powered by Disqus
Aeon J. Skoble - 5/25/2006
Ok, here's the list. This link is some blogpost in which the list is discussed, but if you scroll down, you can see the whole NR article and the complete list. As I suspected, this only works by a strange conflation of meanings of conservatism. A list of actually-libertarian rock songs would be quite different, but there would be some overlap. Here: http://scottpeterson.typepad.com/leftofthedial/2006/05/rockin_the_righ.html
Anthony Gregory - 5/23/2006
Unlike the Old Boss, he has God on his side, and should be trusted with the police state and warfare machine.
Aeon J. Skoble - 5/22/2006
Any dead-tree NR suscribers care to share the list, so we can discuss? Meanwhile, a thought on the very concept: looks like someone over there is blurring the distinction (again!) between libertarian-conservative and authoritarian-conservative. There's no shortage of conservative rock if you take a libertarianish, skeptical-of-government/authority view of conservatism. But that's not necessarily compatible with the other sense of conservative given by the author, or which NR typically operates under. Most of the best anti-government rock is either leftish or anarcho-libertarian. If NR is actually endorsing the Sex Pistols and the Clash, that'll be funny enough. If they endorse the explicit Randian themes in Rush, it'll be even funnier, since NR traditionally despises Rand. Someone please post the list!
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- ‘Clinton Inc.’ Author Dishes on Monica Lewinsky and the Blue Dress
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in