Can the Bush supporters spell “chutzpah”? On TV they are falling all
over themselves to praise Bush for his political courage in scrapping the
steel tariffs. Excuse me—but who put the tariffs on in the first place?
His courage supposedly lies in his willingness to risk losing the swing
steel states for the sake of free-trade principle. But the supporters
neglect to point out that Bush was getting pressure from a swing
steel-using state (namely, Michigan), as well as states such as Florida
that would have suffered from European retaliation sanctioned by the World
Trade Organization. His stated reason for ending the tariffs? They worked!
By the way, he promised to protect the steel industry from"dumping." Some
man of principle. Humbug!
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!