WG Sumner and Minority College Admissions
I am trying to track down primary sources to that effect. Most secondary literature attributes the racism of the era to Sumner because of his philosophy that stateways cannot easily change "folkways." This is a caricature of the man's views, of course, so all the more important to explore his views on race.
In"Conquest of the United States by Spain," he makes several references to the barbaric treatment of blacks, Indians, Chinese and what could the Filipinos expect, he asked, based on our record at home?
comments powered by Disqus
David T. Beito - 2/6/2007
Fascinating. I wonder if an account of this might show up in newspaperarchives.com somewhere.
When was the first black student admitted to Yale?
- ‘Google must not be left to censor history’ – Wikipedia founder
- The most important battle you've probably never heard of
- ISIS is destroying both Shia and Sunni shrines and buildings in Mosul
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Plagiarism scandals galore … but no consequences?
- Stephen Cohen was once considered a top Russia historian. Now he publishes odd defenses of Vladimir Putin.
- Historian who calls bull&%$@ on July 4th parade causes controversy
- This is what motivated history students in high school and middle school can do!
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians