Howard Meyer: Liberalism is shameful?
It would be preposterous to suggest that the New York Times regards liberalism as a political philosophy is shameful. But today's (March 1) obituary of Professor Schlesinger twice refers to him as an"unabashed liberal."
Two dictionaries consulted (and my edition of Roget's Thesaurus) treat"abashed" and"ashamed" as synonyms. I was troubled by the Times' reference. Most of my friends are"liberal" and I am sure that not one is ashamed of her or his beliefs, Of course, in view of the events of the last six years, there are, by now, few unabashed Bush supporters. That number, understandably, will be negligible in a few years.comments powered by Disqus
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!