Howard Meyer: Liberalism is shameful?
It would be preposterous to suggest that the New York Times regards liberalism as a political philosophy is shameful. But today's (March 1) obituary of Professor Schlesinger twice refers to him as an"unabashed liberal."
Two dictionaries consulted (and my edition of Roget's Thesaurus) treat"abashed" and"ashamed" as synonyms. I was troubled by the Times' reference. Most of my friends are"liberal" and I am sure that not one is ashamed of her or his beliefs, Of course, in view of the events of the last six years, there are, by now, few unabashed Bush supporters. That number, understandably, will be negligible in a few years.comments powered by Disqus
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse