Taxpayer Watchdogs for Government Debt
Some discouraging news from California. Instead of using their clout to propose budget cuts and smaller government, several leaders of taxpayer watchdog organizations in Calfornia (many of them now advisors to the governor) are supporting the bond issue to put the state even deeper in the red.
Something similar happened in Alabama last year when several prominent conservative leaders on the governor's staff, including the head of the Alabama affiliate Citizens for a Sound Economy, came out for a massive tax increase. The voters felt otherwise and it went down in flames in a public vote. Could the same thing happen in California? Unfortunately, it does not appear to be likely.comments powered by Disqus
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse