Learning from the Past
Ladies and gentlemen, the President of the United States:
President Bush: My fellow Americans, good evening. I want to announce tonight that I have sent American forces into Iran. We intend to use overwhelming force so that this conflict can be brought to a swift conclusion with a minimum of casualties. I'll let you know why we are doing this when the war is over. God bless America. Goodnight.
Alina Stefanescu (Guest Blogger) - 3/29/2004
The ex post facto Bush style certainly makes it easier to turn what should be an explanation into what ultimately remains a justification. :)
Sheldon Richman - 3/29/2004
It's a verbal editorial cartoon.
Jonathan Dresner - 3/28/2004
Actually, he'd probably give us a reason, then change it later.
But I'm curious: is this an argument against re-election, a projection based on some current moves or just a quick, easy shot.
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!