The Only Directly Elected Leader in the Middle East?
His name is Yassir Arafat, so says Noam Chomsky. Well, I am not a Chomsky fan but he does have a point on this. As to whether Arafat provides a good model for Bush's master plan to bring Wilsonian democracy to the Middle East, I will let others comment on that.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Rick - 3/30/2004
1. Hitler was initially elected too (though, yes, he was later appointed via a series of backroom deals, intrigues, and betrayals).
2. The last time the Palestinians held a free election was I think in 1995.
3. Like other Arab leaders, Arafat is still a dictator.
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch