Randians Gone Wild -- Ron Paul Edition
[cross-posted at Austro-Athenian Empire]
Okay, readers of my blog know I have some serious disagreements with Ron Paul too. But, um, lordy. This is a bit psychotic.
And doesnt this mean that the Randians are giving Paul the same treatment that Whittaker Chambers gave Rand? All this story needs is the line to a gas chamber go! to complete the irony.
comments powered by Disqus
Charles Oliver - 12/24/2007
Well, it seems that one thing that unites the ARI crowd and the "more tolerant" Kelleyites (what are they calling IOS now?) is a fearful and bellicose foreign policy?
Could someone who follows the Objectivist movement more closely than I explain this?
Yes, Rand was inconsistent. She made some bellicose statements and she believed to much in american exceptionalism for my taste.
But she was clearly a noninterventionist herself, who decried use of the word isolationist as a smear against those who advocated noninterventionism.
So why are her heirs united in smearing modern noninterventionists? How did the bellicose part of Rand's thought come to crowd out the rest?
Craig J. Bolton - 12/23/2007
Which only goes to corroborate what many of us have known for years: that the only difference between the Randroids and old fashion Tories like L. Brent Bozell is that the Randroids substitute a watered down version of Nietzsche for Paul.
Mark Brady - 12/23/2007
I read Robert Bidinotto's appended essay How to Judge Political Candidates with interest. It struck me as a sensible analysis that deserves a wider readership until, and this is the crucial proviso, he gets to discussing Ron Paul. There he displays mainsteam Objectivists' ugly American nationalism, which reflects Ayn Rand's own version of American exceptionalism founded on a quite startling ignorance of U.S. and world history, and which is quite divorced from a peaceful American patriotism.
Common Sense - 12/22/2007
Perhaps a cryogenically defrosted Ayn Rand herself?
Aeon J. Skoble - 12/22/2007
Seems silly. Do they prefer someone else?
- Study: Violent radicalism in UK isn't associated with poverty
- CONFIRMED: the Shrine of Jonah/Mosque of Yunus (Nineveh, Mosul, Iraq) has been destroyed
- Chinese President Xi Jinping: Nobody can change history
- Iraq’s Long-Lost Mythical Temple Has Been Found…and Is In Danger of Disappearing Again
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Obama to award National Humanities Medals to 3 historians
- Historian Curt Gentry, known for Hoover biography and ‘Helter Skelter,’ dies at 83
- Harvard historian: strategy of climate science denial groups 'extremely successful'
- Curators at Victoria and Albert Museum are pushing the boundaries of collecting
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation