Notes from Before and After North Atlantic Empire
Anyone who thinks they can predict the consequences of a political assassination is a damn fool.
-- Eric Rauchway,
in Neely Tucker,"Another in the Long Volley of Shots Heard 'Round the World," Washington Post, 28 December.
John Fitzpatrick,"Don't Mention the War," Spiked Review of Books, December, reviews Geoffrey Robertson's presentation of The Levellers: The Putney Debates.
Kenneth T. Jackson,"A Colony with a Conscience," NYT, 27 December, celebrates the 350th anniversary of the Flushing Remonstrance.
Kathryn Shattock,"Long Before Video Cameras, a French Artist Brought Motion to His Images," NYT, 27 December, previews Laurence Chatel de Brancion's Carmontelle's Landscape Transparencies: Cinema of the Enlightenment.
Paul Kennedy,"The Face of Empire," NY Sun, 19 December, reviews Piers Brendon's The Decline and Fall of the British Empire, 1781-1997.
Niall Ferguson,"Different Strokes," Financial Times, 15 December, and Owen Harries,"Anglo-Saxon Attitudes," Foreign Affairs, January/February, review Walter Russell Mead's God and Gold: Britain, America, and the Making of the Modern World. Hat tip.
Robert Dallek,"A Woman of Ambition, Neither Hero Nor Villain," NYT, 27 December, reviews Elisabeth Bumiller's Condoleezza Rice: An American Life, A Biography. But, see also: Scott Lemieux's comment on the review at Lawyers, Guns, and Money.
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!