Things Noted Here and There
Somehow, Scott McLemee's"Bookshelf and Self," IHE, 27 February, and Freshome's"30 of the Most Creative Bookshelves Designs," 25 February, seemed destined for each other, except that a bookshelf really ought not call so much attention to itshelf. Hat tip.
Daniel Kurtz-Phelan,"Big Fruit," NYT, 2 March, reviews Peter Chapman's Bananas: How the United Fruit Company Shaped the World.
David Michaelis,"‘He Drew Great Mud'," NYT, 2 March, reviews Todd DePastino's Bill Mauldin: A Life Up Front.comments powered by Disqus
Oscar Chamberlain - 3/3/2008
I was lucky enough to find a copy of "Up Front" around the house when I was a teenager. In its own way, it's an extraordinary memoir of the war.
Here is a link to many of the cartoons in it: http://www.stripes.com/02/nov02/mauldin/index.html
(The one with the jeep was a personal favorite of his, and mine.)
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!