Congratulations to Yon Goicochechea
The Cato institute has awarded the 2008 Milton Friedman prize for Advancing Liberty to Yon Goicoechea.
Goicoechea was the key organizer of Venzuela's pro-democracy student movement. This movement has several victories to its credit including a successful campaign against President Hugo Chávez efforts to establish dictatorial power. The movement had first mobilized in response to a government order to shut down the country's oldest private television station.
- T. rex fossils arrive at Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History
- Quote of the Day -- Time Magazine's Top 100 People
- Investigation: The Resegregation of America's Schools
- 5 Explosive Revelations Leaked from Senate Report Exposing CIA Torture
- In Parts of the South, Glorifying Slavery No Longer Pays the Bills
- UC Berkeley professor emeritus Robert Harlan dies at 84
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!