What He Said ...
Almost fifty years ago, Aime Cesaire, the dramatist, essayist, and poet from Martinique, wrote that"First we must study how colonization works to decivilize the colonizer, to brutalize him in the true sense of the word, to degrade him, to awaken him to buried instincts, to covetousness, violence, race hatred, and moral relativism."
comments powered by Disqus
Oscar Chamberlain - 5/10/2004
The problem is inherent in the military. Military training in the US has to break down civilian inhibitions but then anchor them in a military and moral discipline.
Mostly we do that pretty well, remarkably well, really. So when general collapses of that discipline occur, that indicates something seriously wrong with the leadership and/or the mission.
- Historian Fernando Prado on quest to find remains of Cervantes
- Historian shines a light on the dark heart of Australia's nationhood
- Female historian says human rights museum censored her
- Japanese historians slam sex-slave apology review
- Stephanie Coontz: "Marriages require much more maturity than they once did."