Obama's National Service Plan
Before we single out Obama, however, it might be worth finding out if McCain is any better on this issue.
comments powered by Disqus
Wendy McElroy - 8/4/2008
This is exactly how the federal government so effectively enforced draft registration. I remember it well. In 1980-82, there were a group of resistors, like libertarian Paul Jacob, who actively resisted and were prosecuted. Rapidly, the feds gave up on that messy approach and used the carrot strategy of student loans, etc. It worked like a charm and the prosecutions (and bad pr) stopped.
Anthony Gregory - 8/4/2008
I worry that within a few years, we'll see serious proposals to offer "voluntary" service programs to teenagers. They will get a "choice": A period of domestic social work (eg., performing puppet shows on racism for school children) or a shorter period of military service (killing Arabs). There will be bipartisan agreement for such a package.
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- ‘Clinton Inc.’ Author Dishes on Monica Lewinsky and the Blue Dress
- Senator’s Thesis Turns Out to Be Remix of Others’ Works, Uncited
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in