Who Will Be Allowed To Watch The Watchmen?
[cross-posted at Austro-Athenian Empire]
Another gift from IP: Fox is trying to block the release of this cool-looking movie based on one of the greatest comic books of all time. (Conical hat tip to Geoff Plauché.) Rumor has it that the Tolkien estate is likewise trying to block the upcoming Hobbit movie(s).
Note: for those who support IP, but do so on consequentialist grounds (mainly incentival) rather than rights-based ones, wouldnt it be reasonable to allow the copyright holder only to demand a percentage of the profits, and not be able to block its release absolutely as Fox and the Tolkien estate are apparently seeking to do?
comments powered by Disqus
Amy H. Sturgis - 9/12/2008
It's not a rumor re: The Hobbit: you can check out a summary of the case through the end of August here.
- Five Things You Need to Know to be a Better Digital Preservationist
- Book on Losing British Generals Wins American History Prize
- Stanford scholar explores civil rights revolution's positive impact on the South's economy
- Harvard Historian Nancy Koehn on Amazon's Tentacular Reach
- Q&A with historian and author Nick Turse