Who Will Be Allowed To Watch The Watchmen?
[cross-posted at Austro-Athenian Empire]
Another gift from IP: Fox is trying to block the release of this cool-looking movie based on one of the greatest comic books of all time. (Conical hat tip to Geoff Plauché.) Rumor has it that the Tolkien estate is likewise trying to block the upcoming Hobbit movie(s).
Note: for those who support IP, but do so on consequentialist grounds (mainly incentival) rather than rights-based ones, wouldnt it be reasonable to allow the copyright holder only to demand a percentage of the profits, and not be able to block its release absolutely as Fox and the Tolkien estate are apparently seeking to do?
comments powered by Disqus
Amy H. Sturgis - 9/12/2008
It's not a rumor re: The Hobbit: you can check out a summary of the case through the end of August here.
- Supreme Court reveals that the docket books of many justices survive -- and are being made available
- Poll: Majority Of Americans Say Obama Is Mixed Race, Not Black
- New technology helps paleontologists see Ice-Age bee in intricate detail
- History textbooks in crosshairs of Australia's curriculum wars
- Archaeologists' findings may prove Rome a century older than thought
- She Came All the Way from Melbourne to Attend the OAH
- The 7 Most Popular HNN Videos from the 2014 OAH
- Jesse Lemisch’s up-from-below history is still strikingly original
- U.Va. Historian Alan Taylor Wins 2014 Pulitzer for Book on Slaves and War -- His second Pulitzer!
- UW Professor Stephanie Camp, 46, feminist historian, dies