Who Will Be Allowed To Watch The Watchmen?
[cross-posted at Austro-Athenian Empire]
Another gift from IP: Fox is trying to block the release of this cool-looking movie based on one of the greatest comic books of all time. (Conical hat tip to Geoff Plauché.) Rumor has it that the Tolkien estate is likewise trying to block the upcoming Hobbit movie(s).
Note: for those who support IP, but do so on consequentialist grounds (mainly incentival) rather than rights-based ones, wouldnt it be reasonable to allow the copyright holder only to demand a percentage of the profits, and not be able to block its release absolutely as Fox and the Tolkien estate are apparently seeking to do?
comments powered by Disqus
Amy H. Sturgis - 9/12/2008
It's not a rumor re: The Hobbit: you can check out a summary of the case through the end of August here.
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- History Professor: Convicted Cop Killer Mumia Should Be Celebrated Like Martin Luther King Jr. in Schools
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90
- Rick Perlstein: “Ronald Reagan absolved America almost in a priestly role not to have to contend with sin. The consequences are all around us today”
- History wars are raging in East Asia
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?