Branford Marsalis on the Death of Merit
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 1/5/2009
I've said my piece against grade inflation before, but Marsalis is extrapolating from his experience into realms about which he is clearly ignorant. Ever heard From the Top? It showcases young classical musicians, kids who study their craft for years and get great joy out of being excellent musicians.
Marsalis' problem is jazz: the valorization of "authenticity" and "experimentation"; the modernist assumption that "new" means "better," especially if that "new" is also "shocking." I know that's not all there is to modern Jazz, but the rhetoric is overwhelming common sense.
- CBS features in-depth coverage of the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights law
- Archive of WW II war crimes made public
- They tried to kill Hitler. Now they’re heroes.
- ‘Clinton Inc.’ Author Dishes on Monica Lewinsky and the Blue Dress
- Senator’s Thesis Turns Out to Be Remix of Others’ Works, Uncited
- Ukrainian Leaders Are Using David Barton's Theocratic Pseudo-History To Build Their Nation
- John D’Emilio, renowned professor of gay studies, retires
- Journalist Michael Wolraich says he wrote his new book about the Progressives to teach Americans how to do liberal politics
- It’s Martin Kramer vs. Ari Shavit vs. Benny Morris
- It's official: 2014 AHA election results are in