Branford Marsalis on the Death of Merit
Wow. comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 1/4/2009
I've said my piece against grade inflation before, but Marsalis is extrapolating from his experience into realms about which he is clearly ignorant. Ever heard From the Top? It showcases young classical musicians, kids who study their craft for years and get great joy out of being excellent musicians.
Marsalis' problem is jazz: the valorization of "authenticity" and "experimentation"; the modernist assumption that "new" means "better," especially if that "new" is also "shocking." I know that's not all there is to modern Jazz, but the rhetoric is overwhelming common sense.
- Nelson Mandela Dead: Icon of Anti-Apartheid Movement Dies at 95
- George H.W. Bush Given Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation Award
- Bruce Springsteen's 'Born To Run' manuscript could fetch $100,000 at NY auction
- Hospital Donates Records of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to JFK Library
- Australia’s Eureka Flag Finds a New Patch