Branford Marsalis on the Death of Merit
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Dresner - 1/5/2009
I've said my piece against grade inflation before, but Marsalis is extrapolating from his experience into realms about which he is clearly ignorant. Ever heard From the Top? It showcases young classical musicians, kids who study their craft for years and get great joy out of being excellent musicians.
Marsalis' problem is jazz: the valorization of "authenticity" and "experimentation"; the modernist assumption that "new" means "better," especially if that "new" is also "shocking." I know that's not all there is to modern Jazz, but the rhetoric is overwhelming common sense.
- Round 2: It's Benny Morris vs. Martin Kramer ... Was there a massacre in 1948 in Lydda?
- World War I Anniversary: Five Historians, Two Questions
- While French historians take a common view of WW I, British and German don't
- Historian: Proclamation Naming Pa. State Gun Gets Facts Wrong
- Irish slave owners were compensated historian reveals