L'etat c'est moi
That’s what happens when you don’t have robust property rights.
comments powered by Disqus
Jonathan Rick - 7/5/2004
An op-ed (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/02/opinion/02MONT.html) in last week's NY Times also draws on Louis XIV's maxim, "L'état, c'est moi," vis-a-vis Saddam:
"As was evident at an Iraqi judicial hearing in Baghdad yesterday, Mr. Hussein will continue to exploit the drama of his special prestige to say, effectively, American puppets may come and go, but, as Louis XIV put it, ''état, c'est moi.'"
- Shipwreck Found Under World Trade Center Traced Back To Colonial Era Philadelphia
- Bob Dallek in the NYT gives a rave review of John Dean's history of Watergate cover-up
- Ex-President George W. Bush Authors Book About His Father
- Tears, and Anger, as Militants Destroy Iraq City’s Relics
- Europe notes 100th anniversary of World War I
- Why Benny Morris is both right and wrong
- Professor Ilan Pappé: Israel Has Chosen to be a 'Racist Apartheid State'
- Robert Drew, Cinema Verite Documentarian, Dies at 90